What makes a good Speaking test candidate?
What makes a good Speaking test candidate? Examiners give their advice and tips for the Cambridge English: First and Cambridge English: Advanced Speaking tests.
In Speaking Tests, good candidates:
- Listen carefully (to the tasks, their partner and their examiner).
- Keep the conversation going.
- Interact with both their partner and the examiner.
- Move the conversation forward.
- Use eye contact.
- Use body language to encourage their partner.
- Are resourceful in their use of language.
- Find a way of expressing themselves (e.g. through paraphrasing).
- Balance fluency and accuracy.
- Ask questions if they don’t understand.
- Help their partner.
- Can overcome nerves.
- Can maintain the flow for a full minute.
- Know how long their answer should be (know they have to extend/contract some answers).
- Are not put off when the examiner interrupts.
- Know: Preparation is key!